ETIP Overview & Frequently Asked Questions
What companies are eligible for reimbursement through ETIP?
Companies must have a physical location in the State of Illinois. Reimbursement is eligible for Illinois-based, full-time employees only.
ETIP is a program administered by the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce. For information regarding membership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the dates for eligible training during the grant term?
Training that occurs between July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023 may be eligible for training, pending additional eligibility factors outlined below. Please keep in mind, funding is distributed on a first come, first served basis until funding is depleted.
Who can provide training?
You can work with one of our Pre-Qualified Training Providers (Institute for Workforce Education at St. Augustine College, BIS Consultants LLC, or BIS Consulting and Training LLC), use a third-party trainer to provide your training, or conduct training internally. Internal training is reimbursed at the actual hourly rate of the trainer on staff.
For more information about how to access reimbursement for third-party or internal training, please see Guidance for Company Led Training.
What types of expenses are eligible or ineligible?
Eligible Expense Examples:
- Internal company-based instructor wages at the actual hourly wage rate
- External instructional vendor/trainer expenses
- Employee external training fee expenses
- Instructional training materials purchased or production expenses
Ineligible Expense Examples:
- Trainee travel costs
- Training Program Development/Preparation/Planning
- Conferences/Workshops/Seminars (unless certificate of completion is issued)
- Depreciable equipment
- Consulting fees
What types of trainings are eligible or ineligible?
Training should be directly associated with an employee’s day-to-day activities and must enhance the skills related to the job that the employee is performing.
Eligible Training Examples:
- Training programs required to respond to new or changing technologies, processes, product lines, machinery, or equipment being introduced in the workplace
- Training necessary to implement continuous improvement systems in the workplace, including quality certifications
- Training employees in skills necessary to establish, maintain, or expand into new export markets
- Training related to regulatory compliance as mandated for the workplace
- Basic and/or remedial training of employees ONLY as a prerequisite or pathway for other vocational or technical skills training
- Training to upgrade technical workplace skills
- Organizational Skills (customer service, professional English, team leader and team building)
- Basic Skills (workplace ELS, workplace reading)
- Quality Kills (problem solving, root cause analysis)
- Leadership and soft skills training
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion training
- Please see Sample Training Courses for an expanded list of eligible trainings.
Ineligible Training Examples:
- Tuition reimbursement for GED, College Credit/Degree
- Professional Continuing Education
- Skills Assessments
- Non-structured On-the-Job Training
- Employee Orientation Training
- Human Resource Practices
- Consultant Fees
- Strategic Planning
- One–on-one training may be eligible but require pre-approval from our Grantor, DCEO
Additional Eligibility Factors:
- Structure: Trainings must be structured in order to be eligible. Non-structured on the job training is not eligible. There must be dates and times associated with all classes and courses.
- Attendance: Courses must have 2 or more trainees in attendance to be eligible for reimbursement. One-on-one trainings may be eligible, but require pre-approval by our funder (Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity)
- Billing: Invoices from training providers must be billed to the company seeking reimbursement at 100% of the cost. We cannot process reimbursement for invoices paid by individuals. All invoices should have trainings and expenses itemized. Internal training invoices should be from the company seeking reimbursement to the Chamber, itemized, and reflect 100% of the cost, as well as the 50% amount to be reimbursed.
How do I find out if the training I want to conduct is eligible or approved to begin?
You must complete the ETIP Intake Form to submit a request with details about your training. A Chamber team member will follow up with you to confirm that there are sufficient grant funds remaining to cover the reimbursement and that the training is eligible. Completion of this form does not guarantee reimbursement. Upon approval, you will receive paperwork that must be completed and submitted in order to receive reimbursement.
If you have multiple trainings, you can submit the required information in an excel spreadsheet for approval to email@example.com.
When is the deadline to submit for reimbursement?
The Chamber reimburses quarterly after timely submission of all required forms and information. The remaining deadlines on the current grant are:
- Friday, January 13, 2023
- Friday, April 14, 2023
- Friday, July 14, 2023 – Final deadline for the current grant. Late submissions will not be accepted.
How often does the Chamber process reimbursements?
The Chamber reimburses for 50% of the cost of eligible training to companies on a quarterly basis, after receipt of all required paperwork by the deadline. Any incomplete documentation may be reimbursed the following quarter after submission of all required materials and if funding is still available. The Chamber expects to receive FY23 funding in January or February; and will process payment for approved applications quarterly.
What documentation is required?
You must complete and submit all documentation listed below to be eligible for reimbursement (see list below). If you work with one of our Pre-Qualified Training Providers, they will work with you to complete and submit all required documentation on your behalf.
If you complete training via a third-party training provider or complete internal training, you must complete the forms below and submit all documentation. These forms were provided by our funder. You may not submit this documentation in a different format. All documentation must be completed in its entirety, collated, and submitted in .pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline in order to receive for reimbursement for this grant cycle.
- Company Profile
- Master Training Roster (cumulative)
- Expenditure Summary (cumulative)
- Participating Employee Report (cumulative)
- Course Expenditure Report
- Copy of Your Invoice
- Sign in Attendance Sheet
Still have questions? Register to attend ETIP Office Hours, a drop-in session held on the first and third Friday of each month from 1-2 pm ct.Submit Inquiry Form