At the end of May, it was reported that traffic in and out of the Chicago Central Business District in the last three weekends in June will be seriously affected by construction on the Kennedy Expressway.
The Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, Illinois Restaurant Association, Illinois Hotel and Lodging Association, Choose Chicago and The Magnificent Mile Association have been working with the City of Chicago Office of Emergency Management and Communication (OEMC) to ensure that all possible traffic management methods and alternative transportation options have been fully vetted.
The following steps have been taken to help keep Chicago “open for business” during this time:
1) The Chicago Transit Authority has confirmed additional capacity has been scheduled on all bus and train routes. In addition scheduled maintenance on the Blue Line has been suspended for the three weekends in question.
2) METRA has confirmed they will be adding additional capacity to their train runs as well as crew on hand for immediate additional capacity needs. METRA does offer a special weekend fare option, which will be promoted during the next week.
3) OEMC has scheduled additional personnel that will be dispatched totraffic hotspots to keep things flowing as best as possible.
4) IDOT has forwarded to various media outlets and posted on their website maps and descriptions of alternative ways to access the Central Business District. All media outlets have this posted on their website. Click here to view additional information.
5) Alderman Reilly highlighted the upcoming construction schedule andmaps in his recent weekly newsletter and will be adding information as it is made available. Click here to view additional information.
6) OEMC has invited representatives from the business organizations to participate in the major media press conference on Wednesday. The business organizations are working together to communicate a message, “Downtown Chicago is open for business…come and have fun, but plan accordingly.”
7) Generally speaking, it is important to advise employees and guests to allow additional time for travel regardless of the mode of transportation selected.
Visit www.transitchicago.com and www.metrarail.com for information on public transportation during this time. Detour routes can be found at www.dot.state.il.us/KennedyatOhio/detour.html. Visit www.notifychicago.org to sign up for free emergency traffic text alerts.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the construction project, please contact The Magnificent Mile Association office at 312.642.3570.